Building Permit Forms
You must fully complete "Application for permit to build or demolish". Application forms may be obtained at the Municipality of West Elgin Office or click below to print a copy.
The following items are needed on the "Application for permit to build or demolish":
Names, addresses, and phone numbers of the owner, authorized agent, and the builder, demolition contractor, or wrecker.
Legal description of property Identify and describe work/occupancy to be covered
Signature of owner/authorized agent and date of application
Value of construction
* The fee for a building permit is based on the square footage and/or value.
* Plans, specifications, information must have:
Detail sufficient to enable the Chief Building Official/Inspector to determine compliance or non-compliance with the Building Code Act, the Regulations, and any other Township by-laws.
Plans drawn to scale, clearly legible and accurate, specifying the full nature and extent of the proposed use and occupancy.
- Site plan, showing location of building from property lines.
- Will an occupancy permit be needed? All new businesses & residences require an occupancy permit.
A septic system permit is required for any new residential building before the Building permit will be issued.
Grading plan where required
It is your responsibility to call the Building Inspector for the required inspections as noted on the building permit.
New Building Department Fees and Charges - view By-Law
Trailer Park Decks and Additions
If you are going to construct a deck or addtion to your recreation vehicle in a Trailer park in the Municipality of West Elgin you will need apply for a Permit to Construct or Demolish. The Chief Building Official has put together a guide to assist trailer park owners and tennants through this process. Please find the guide here : Trailer Park Permit Guide
Mobile Home/Park Model Trailers
- The Mobile Home meets the Canadian Standards as per CSA-A277 or CSA-Z240
- The Park Model Trailer meets the Canadian Standards as per CAN/CSA-Z241 Series - "Park Model Trailers"
- A permit is obtained prior to the installation of the Mobile Home or Park Model Trailer. The permit to construct or demolish application can be found here
The Chief Building Official has put together a guide to assist trailer park owners and tennants through this process. Please find the guide here: Mobile Home/Park Model Guide
Jackie Morgan-Beunen, Chief Building Official
Office Hours: Municipality of West Elgin