New - Tags to indicate reasons garbage or recycling not picked up
If you find this tag on your garbage or recycling, it will indicate the reason the item was not picked up as part of normal garbage or recycling pick up. If you have any questions please contact the Municipal Office at 519-785-0560.
Landfill Location and Hours
20385 Downie Line,
Landfill Site Hours:
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 9am-4pm
If you have any questions or concerns call:
Municipality of West Elgin 519-785-0560
Top 5 Recycling Sorting Tips
- Flatten all boxes - flatten all types of boxes for collection, unflatten boxes will be left at the curb
- No plastic bags - Blue Boxes are plastic bag free zones! At the recycling centre, they wrap around machines adn slow down the process. If you collect recycables in plastic bags, please empty the items into your Blue Box.
- No Styrofoam - Styrofoam is not accepted in the recycling program. It is garbage.
- Cartons and Cups are Containers - This is the most common recycling error. Paper coffee cups, fountain drink cups, milk/juic cartons and boxes belong with glass, plastic & metal containers. Remove the plastic lids from cups first, then place both cup and lid in with the containers.
- Recycle as much as you can - the average househould only puts 60% of their recyclables in their Blue Box. They put the rest in the garbage. Make a difference and recycle 100%
Collection Schedule - Please have by the curb by 7 a.m. 6 bag limit.
- Garbage must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. on Collection Days
- If reusable containers are use, the containers must be in good repair and have two (2) handles on either side for easy dumping. West Elgin is not responsible for lost or damaged containers
- Bags and contents cannont weigh more than 45 lbs.
- Clear and Black garbage bages are accepted
- 6 Garbage bag limited. Excess Garbage will not be taken.
- Blue Boxes must be curbside by 7:00 a.m. on Collection Days
- Two Stream Recycling System - Fibres and Container Recyclables must be seperated.
- No limit on the amount of Recyclables collected.
- Each Blue Box and contents cannot weigh more than 45 lbs.
- Break down, flatten and bundle your cardboard boxes or stack them flattened in your recycling bin. Cardboard is not to exceed 24"x 24" x 8" in size.
- Residents may use containers that are not issued by the municipality as long as they are easily identifiable as recyclable and meet all other guidlines. West Elgin will not replace containers thought to be garbage or recycling by Progressive Waste Solutions.
Unacceptable For Curbside Pickup
- Hazardous Waste
- Bio-Medical waste
- Combustible or Explosive Materials
- Vehicle or Automobile parts
- Construction Debris
- Household Furniture
- Crates or pallets
- Sharps (Syringes, Lancets)
- Leaves and Garden Material (Other than on Special Collection dates)
Orange Drop is an industry-funded recycling program aimed at keeping hazardous and special waste materials out of Ontario’s landfills and waterways.
The Orange Drop Program allows Ontarians to return designated materials to local Municipal HHW Depots, retail sites and collection events across Ontario.
Visit the Orange Drop website
Hazardous Waste (Not accepted at the landfill site)
- Pesticides/ herbicides/ chemicals
- Unused medications (should be returned to the drugstore)
- Tar & felt roofing
Recycling Depots not Dumps
Proper sorting and the elimination of contamination are one of the keys to the success of any recycling program. By placing mixed recyclables in one bin at your depot you could potentially contaminate an entire truckload of product. Your cooperation in placing materials in the proper containers is greatly appreciated.
Fees and Charges
You can view the full list of Fees and Charges in By-Law 2019-15
Blue Box Replacement - $8 + HST
Landfill - Tipping Fees
Pick up load - $25 (tax exempt)
1/2 pick up load - $12.50 (tax exempt)
Stake or dump truck - $50 (tax exempt)