Municipal Drains

What is a Municipal Drain?

A municipal drain is a drainage system, typically located in rural agricultural areas of the province. The majority of municipal drains are either ditches or closed systems such as pipes or tiles buried in the ground. Municipal drains can also include dykes, berms, pumping stations, buffer strips, grassed waterways, storm water detention ponds, culverts, bridges, and some creeks and small rivers. They improve drainage of agricultural land and also help remove excess water collected by roadside ditches and other properties located in rural areas.

For more information regarding West Elgin's Municipal Drains, you can contact our Drainage Superintendent Tom Mohan by calling 519-785-0560 or by email at

Municipal Drains are created and must be maintained under the authority of the Drainage Act

You can also find more information regarding Municipal Drains by visiting OMAFRA (The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs).

Click here to view and download West Elgin's Municipal Drains Map in PDF format.

Instructions on how to view the embedded Municipal Drains Map:

Use the (+) and (-) buttons located at the bottom right of the map to zoom in and out.

Click on the map and use the arrow keys on to move horizontally and vertically around the map. You can also use the map's scrollbars to navigate the map.