Drinking Water - Quality Management
What is a "Quality & Environmental Management System"?
A quality management system consists of a set of policies, procedures and objectives that direct and control an organization with respect to quality.
Why do we need one?
The Ministry of the Environment (MOE) has developed the Municipal Drinking Water Licensing Program, under the Safe Drinking Water Act, 2002 (SDWA) and one part of the Licensing Program was the creation of the Drinking Water Quality Management Standard (DWQMS).
West Elgin Drinking Water System
As part of the municipal licensing program, West Elgin Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System have been accredited as Operating Authorities.
This accreditation is a requirement of the municipal drinking water licensing program.
To be accredited as an operating authority OCWA and West Elgin have implemented a Quality & Enironmental Management System for the Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System.
Click here for the : QUALITY & ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (QEMS) POLICY
- The West Elgin Drinking Water System consists of approximately 180km of water main ranging in size from 50mm (2") to 400mm (16").
- There is an elevated storage tank in Rodney and a standpipe in West Lorne to maintain pressure in the system.
- We have 1762 active customers in the water system, that number increases slightly in the spring with seasonal customers turned back on.
- The Municipality is responsible for the services up to the property line and the meter itself on the premises, the property owner is responsible for the rest.
- O.C.W.A. (Ontario Clean Water Agency) is the overall responsible operator of the water system and does all water sampling and reporting to all ministries required and to the owner of the system.
The Operational Plans are available upon request to the Clerk at the municipal office.
Fees and Charges
You can view the full list of Fees and Charges in By-Law 2019-15
Water security deposits - tennants (residential) - $200 (tax exempt)
Water security deposits - tennants (commercial) - $200 or a total of 3 month's average billing (tax exempt)
Water service disconnect - $50 + HST
Water service reconnect - $50 + HST
Attending property fee - $50 + HST
Billing verification - $25 + HST
Account analysis - $25 + HST
Transfer of account - $20 + HST
Water Dispensing Station
Key accounts (per cubic metre) - $2.78 + HST
Security deposit for non-residents and new accounts - $200 (tax exempt)
Water meter installation - materials - Cost + HST
Water meter installation - labour - Current employee rate + HST
Water connection privelege fee (per lot)
3/4 inch - $900 + HST
1 inch - $1200 + HST
1.5 inch - $1500 + HST
2 inch - $2000 + HST
4 inch - $2500 + HST
6 inch - $3000 + HST
Water connection fee - Municipalities
Southweset Middlesex Water Customer within West Elgin Boundaries - As determined by SWM + HST
Dutton Dunwich Water Customer within West Elgin Boundaries - As determined by Dutton Dunwich + HST
Water Bills are sent out bi-monthly.
West Elgin now offers eBilling.
Have your tax and/or water bills emailed right into your inbox!
Fill out our eBilling subscription form and help us cut down on paper waste.
For more information, you can contact:
Our water department by calling 519-785-0560.
Our Utility Services Manager, Mike Kalita by calling 519-785-0560 or by email at email@example.com